- Open your Mac’s Bin.
- Ctrl + click the file you believe may be causing the problem.
- Select “Delete Immediately.”
how to delete files on mac? how to delete files on macbook air.
How do I force delete a file on Mac?
The most basic way to delete a file on Mac is to click on it with your cursor and then drag-and-drop onto the Trash icon in your Dock. You can also right-click on any file and select Move to Trash from the menu. The fastest way to delete files is to use the ⌘ + Delete shortcut.
How do I delete a file that isn’t deleting?
To do this, start by opening the Start menu (Windows key), typing run, and hitting Enter. In the dialogue that appears, type cmd and hit Enter again. With the command prompt open, enter del /f filename, where filename is the name of the file or files (you can specify multiple files using commas) you want to delete.
Can’t force delete a file?
- Use “DEL” command to force delete a file in CMD: …
- Press Shift + Delete to force delete a file or folder.
How do you force delete a file even if it is open?
To do this, start by opening the Start menu (Windows key), typing run , and hitting Enter. In the dialogue that appears, type cmd and hit Enter again. With the command prompt open, enter del /f filename , where filename is the name of the file or files (you can specify multiple files using commas) you want to delete.
Can’t delete because file is in use Mac?
- Quit the app.
- Restart the Mac normally.
- Restart the Mac in Safe Mode, delete startup items that might be the problem, then restart normally.
- Start up with macOS Recovery and use Disk Utility to repair the drive.
How do I force delete a file that is in use?
- Close the Program. Let’s start with the obvious. …
- Reboot your computer. …
- End the Application via the Task Manager. …
- Change File Explorer Process Settings. …
- Disable the File Explorer Preview Pane. …
- Force Delete the File in Use via the Command Prompt.
How do I force delete a folder?
- Open the terminal application on Linux.
- The rmdir command removes empty directories only. Hence you need to use the rm command to remove files on Linux.
- Type the command rm -rf dirname to delete a directory forcefully.
- Verify it with the help of ls command on Linux.
How do I get rid of corrupted and unreadable folders?
Sometimes, even though your files get corrupted, unreadable or damaged, you can delete them by clicking the “Delete” button, holding the “Shift+Delete” buttons, or even dragging them to the recycle bin.
How do you delete the action Cannot be completed because the file is open in system?
- Use Disk Cleanup and repair HDD. …
- Empty the Recycle Bin. …
- End Windows Explorer process and restart it. …
- Edit your group policy. …
- Disable the Preview panel. …
- Disable thumbnails. …
- Modify your registry. …
- Delete the TEMP folders.
How do you fix the action Cannot be completed because the file is open in system?
- Open resource monitor (Windows +R to open Run then type Resmon.exe)
- Open the CPU tab in the monitor.
- Select all processes (not sure if this is needed, you can probably just search for the handle)
- Expand “associated handles”
- Search for the file you need.
- Close the process that has the handle.
Can’t be completed because the file is open in system?
The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program is a message reflected in the “File in Use” window when trying to delete, rename, or move specific files and folders. The error appears because the manipulated file or folder is currently used by some application or background process.
How do you delete a folder on a Mac?
Delete a Directory ( rm -r ) To delete (i.e. remove) a directory and all the sub-directories and files that it contains, navigate to its parent directory, and then use the command rm -r followed by the name of the directory you want to delete (e.g. rm -r directory-name ).
Why is my file corrupted and unreadable?
Hard drive, USB, flash drive, or memory card can be corrupted due to bad sectors or physical damage, which will cause your device to no longer accessible or writable. Partition information such as file system is usually saved in a specific location.
How do I clean up a corrupted file?
- Perform a check disk on the hard drive. Running this tool scans the hard drive and attempts to recover bad sectors. …
- Use the CHKDSK command. This is the command version of the tool we looked at above. …
- Use the SFC /scannow command. …
- Change the file format. …
- Use file repair software.
What causes file corruption?
If your computer loses power or crashes as you save a file, there’s a good possibility that the file will become corrupted. Bad sectors on your hard drive or other storage media can also cause file corruption, even if the saving process finishes properly. Viruses and other malware can also cause file corruption.