From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences. From the System Preferences menu in the menu bar, choose Erase All Content and Settings.
How do I completely format an external hard drive? how to format an external hard drive mac.
How do I erase my Mac and start over?
Choose Apple menu > Restart, then immediately press and hold Command-R. In the Recovery app window, select Disk Utility, then click Continue. In Disk Utility, select the volume you want to erase in the sidebar, then click Erase in the toolbar.
Does erasing Mac erase everything?
A factory reset will wipe your Mac computer, restoring its software to the state it was in when you first turned it on. That means that all your personal files and data will disappear.
How do I factory reset my MacBook Pro 2021?
- Make a fresh backup of your Mac.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click System Preferences in the menu bar > Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Follow the prompts to fully erase your Mac.
- Like iOS, the new erase process in macOS Monterey handles everything to fully wipe your Mac.
How do I do a hard reset on a MacBook Pro?
- To force a restart your MacBook, you need to press and hold down the Command (⌘) button, the Control (Ctrl) key, and the power button at the same time.
- Hold these keys down until your MacBook’s screen goes blank and the computer restarts itself.
How do I reset my MacBook pro without losing data?
Step 1 Plug in the external storage device where you saved your backup. Step 2 Make sure your MacBook is turned off. Then press CMD + R, then press the power button to initialize macOS Utilities. Step 3 Click “Restore from Time Machine Backup” and click “Continue.”
How do I factory reset my MacBook Catalina?
Open System Preferences. Click on System Preferences in the menu bar at the top of your screen. Click on Erase All Content and Settings. Enter your password.
How do you reset a 2012 MacBook Pro?
To do so, shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after 20 seconds or so. That’s it!
How do I wipe my MacBook Air 2017?
To factory reset your device, however, click Disk Utility at the bottom of the list. Once Disk Utility has opened, Locate and select your MacBook Air’s Startup Disk on the left-hand side. For most users this is the main and only disk listed. Click the Erase button inside Disk Utility.
How do I wipe my MacBook Air 2020?
- Hold down the Command and R keys on the keyboard and turn on the Mac. …
- Select your language and continue.
- Choose Disk Utility and click Continue.
- Choose your startup disk (named Macintosh HD by default) from the sidebar and click the Erase button.
How do I wipe my MacBook Air 2015?
- Click Disk Utility.
- Click Continue.
- Click View > Show All Devices.
- Select your hard drive and click Erase.
- In the Format field, choose the APFS option on macOS High Sierra or later. On macOS Sierra or earlier, choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option.
- Click Erase.
How do I factory reset my MacBook pro m1 2021?
How do I factory reset my MacBook Air 2022?
You need to press and hold the keys: Option + Command + P & R altogether. Turn back ‘On’ your MacBook and instantly hit the keys: Option + Command + P & R altogether. Make sure you press and hold the keys for at least 20 seconds before you release them!
How do I do a factory reset?
- 1 Tap Settings
- 2 Tap General Management.
- 3 Tap Reset.
- 4 Tap Factory data reset.
- 5 Tap RESET.
- 6 Tap DELETE ALL. Please be patient as phone resetting takes some time.
- 1 Tap Apps > Settings > Backup and reset.
- 2 Tap Factory data reset > Reset Device > Erase Everything.
Is it good to factory reset your Mac?
Before you spend big on a new Mac, though, try a factory reset, which wipes your computer and reinstalls a clean version of macOS. A factory reset is also the best way to prepare your old computer for a new owner to make sure no leftover data falls into the wrong hands.
What will I lose if I reset my Mac?
This factory reset basically removes all information on your Mac and restores everything to exactly how it was set up when you purchased it. This reset can help speed up your MacBook or get rid of any files and applications that are bogging your system down.
Should I reset my MacBook?
Resetting your MacBook Pro to the way it was when you got it from the factory isn’t difficult, but it isn’t quick, either. You could do it if you’ve been consistently having serious problems with the MacBook Pro. However, the only time you should definitely do it is when you’re about to sell or give away the machine.
How do I factory reset my Mac M1?
One way to resolve this is to go back to Recovery Mode > Disk Utility, then select “Macintosh HD – Data” (or name of drive – Data), and click to Erase the Data portion. Quit Disk Utility and you will probably see a screen about activating the Mac, so go through that.
How do I wipe my MacBook Pro 2013?
- Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until the startup options window comes up. …
- When the Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, choose Macintosh HD.
- Click the “Erase” button, then select a file system format and enter a name for it.
How do I wipe my MacBook Pro 2015?
How do you do a hard reset on a MacBook Air?
Restart a MacBook Air from the keyboard: Hold Control + Command + power button/eject button/Touch ID sensor. Force restart a MacBook Air: Hold down the power button or Control + Option + Command + the power/eject/Touch ID button.
How do I reset my MacBook pro to factory settings without a password 2015?
If you still can’t reset your password, erase your Mac From the Erase Mac window, click Erase Mac, then click Erase Mac to confirm. If your Mac restarts to a flashing question mark, press and hold the power button for a few seconds until your Mac turns off. Start up from macOS Recovery again, then reinstall macOS.
How do I factory reset my IMAC 2015?
- Click the Apple () symbol in the top left corner of your Mac’s screen and select Restart….
- Click Restart.
- Hold down the Command and R keys as soon as you hear the Mac tone indicating a reboot.
- Wait for the macOS Utilities screen to appear, then click Disk Utility.
Does factory reset remove all data permanently?
Finally, you are ready to perform a factory reset. When you do a factory reset on your Android device, it erases all the data on your device, and returns the phone back to its original out-of-the-box state as it was from the factory.
What is factory reset in laptop?
Resetting to Factory Settings During the factory resetting process, your PC’s hard drive is completely erased and you lose any business, financial and personal files that may be present on the computer. Once the resetting process starts, you cannot interrupt it.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings without command r?
Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. (On some Mac keyboards the Option key will be named Alt). Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery. This may take a while”.
Will wiping Mac speed it up?
The power and speed of your computer is determined by the CPU, not your disk drive. Getting rid of programs such as Mac Keeper and its ilk will go a long way to helping your computer run better.
What does factory reset do?
A factory data reset erases your data from the phone. While data stored in your Google Account can be restored, all apps and their data will be uninstalled. To be ready to restore your data, make sure that it’s in your Google Account. Learn how to back up your data.
Will reformatting my Mac make it faster?
Originally Answered: Will formatting my Macbook Pro make it faster? Yes it will make a difference. Regardless of Operating system, computers just get bogged down with software and applications running that we forget we installed or did not remove properly, etc…. Mac OS is no different in this aspect.